The pad was on the right side of the screen, which is the right place for Fargo but the wrong place for Happy Friends, where it obscures the Twitter rendering of the item, which is almost certainly what you came to see. Now it's on the left side, over the top of the outline.
Expand and Collapse works a little differently in Happy Friends. When you expand a twitterFriend type headline, we have to look to see if there are any tweets available for it. So we can't examine the in-memory outline to determine if it can be expanded. Now it does the right thing, which is considerably more complex to program, but not complex to use.
In order to keep their servers running smoothly, Twitter has established a set of very reasonable limits on the number of times users can do things when using an external app like Happy Friends.
I've tried to tune the software up in such a way that it's not likely to happen, but it's possible that with a large number of friends, or if you're checking for updates frequently, that you'll hit a rate-limit error. You'll know you're getting these errors if a red message appears below the outline that tells you. It links to this page.
Consider turning off automatic checks, or checking less frequently. In the menu at the right edge of the menu bar, choose the Settings command and click on the Rate panel.
If you turn off automatic checks, you can do a scan manually with the Check For Updates Now command in the Friends menu.
Watch fewer people in Happy Friends and keep the rate of automatic checks as-is.
Slow down, or take a break. Sometimes rate-limit errors can happen if you do too much expanding. So slow down a little, or do something else for a while. The rate-limits eventually reset (that is, Twitter forgets about the past excess).
When you come back, reload the page if the message is still there.
Here's what Twitter says to developers like me about rate limits. It's pretty deep stuff.
In the rush to ship Little Card Editor and thesaurus.land some problems were surfacing in Happy Friends. I finally got a chance in the last couple of days to dig in and figure out what's happening and make some fixes.
It wasn't handling rate-limit errors well. And that would cause false positives, headlines that would go bold when there were no changes.
If you had two copies of the app open in different tabs, it would be possible for one to update and the other to pick up on the change and wipe out the outline. Now it no longer has the capacity to do this, and even better the copy of the app running in the non-active tab will stop updating until you show up again. However, for now -- the best thing to do is to be sure always that there's only one copy of Happy Friends open in any single browser, on any single machine.
I tuned up the way columns display, so that there's more fluidity. The tweet preview should not overwrite the outline. And the outline should get smaller if you decrease the width of the window. As a result it also works better on tablets such as the iPad.
If you're saving a public copy of your outline you'd quickly hit your rate limit if you were making lots of changes to the outline. Now this won't happen because we cache information that Twitter provides us, on the server.
There's a new Unbold All command in the Friends menu if you want to check all your friends again. It helped preserve my sanity while testing, and it may help you too. (Can't hurt.)
There's a new Rate-limit indicator below the attributes display. It shows when we're getting rate-limit errors from Twitter. It's important for you to know this, because parts of the app are non-responsive when you're at the rate-limit. I also write a user-level backgrounder on rate-limits. When you're getting rate-limit errors there are remedies, which are explained in the backgrounder.
The new release works a lot better than the previous release. Sorry you had to put up with all those problems. I hope to do better with this product in the future. I love it as much as the others. It's a little more difficult but it's also quite useful.